Prostitutes tell of gang rapes

5:34pm Thursday 28th August 2008

By John Davies »

A Slovakian miner has gone on trial accused of being part of a rape gang which was responsible for five attacks on Bradford prostitutes.

A jury at the city’s crown court heard today that while one of the sex workers was being subjected to a series of rapes in the back of a people carrier, 33-year-old Lubomir Kora filmed part of it on his mobile phone.

Kora, a married father-of-six, has denied a charge of conspiracy to rape relating to a spate of attacks between February 7 and March 13.

Prosecutor Stephen Wood told the court that five prostitutes aged between 19 and 34 had been lured into the distinctive vehicle and subjected to serious sexual assaults by a group of men.

“The aim of group was to get a girl, picked up from the street, for their own sexual gratification,” said Mr Wood.

“Each of them knew that in all likelihood violence would be used against the women in order to subjugate them and make them compliant. There was no question of any of these women consenting to what happened to them.”

Mr Wood described how each of victims, who cannot be identified, were approached by a man who initially asked for sexual services for himself or a second man.

The jury heard that after the prostitute had got into a Kora’s Toyota Previa she would be driven to a secluded location where other men would either come out of their hiding place in the vehicle or from a separate car.

Mr Wood described how the first two prostitutes managed to escape from the gang after they had been picked up in the city’s red-light district four days apart.

In March a 19-year-old sex worker was approached by two men with Czech accents and driven to Arthington Street, a cul-de-sac.

“Once at this location two further males actually climbed over the rear seats. They had been hiding in the back and immediately started to attack her,” said Mr Wood.

“She was struck in the face and they began to try and rip her clothing from her. With the exception of the driver, who watched what unfolded, the other three males raped her.”

The teenager suffered bruising to her face, upper body and legs in the attack and her mobile phone was stolen from her.

A week later a 33-year-old prostitute was again approached by two males in a people-carrier vehicle.

“The prosecution’s case is once more that the driver was Kora,” alleged Mr Wood.

“The driver engaged her in conversation and agreed a price for each man. The people carrier then drove off to Long Lane at Heaton and pulled into a lay-by.’’ Mr Wood said the driver had consensual sex with the prostitute, but after she refused to have sex with his passenger two other men appeared from their hiding place and pinned her down.

While she was being raped by the passenger Kora took photographs of the attack on his mobile phone.

Kora later told police that it was one of his cousins who had asked him to take the pictures and he had been forced into it.

The prostitute was repeatedly raped during her ordeal and had her phone taken from her before she was allowed to leave the vehicle.

She was picked up by a passing ambulance crew in a distressed state.

“She said that she knew she was a working girl and that people would think that she deserved it, but she went on to say no-one deserves this,” said Mr Wood.

Two days later a 34-year-old prostitute was also picked up by two men in a people carrier as she worked alone on Gaynor Street.

After it was driven to the same cul-de-sac in Arthington Street three other men arrived on the scene.

“Four of these males became aggressive in demeanour towards her. She was punched. They began to remove her jeans and rifle through her handbag. Whilst this was occurring the driver watched,” alleged Mr Wood.

The prostitute was raped by all the men including the driver during an ordeal which lasted about 40 minutes.

“The people carrier was then driven off to Long Lane while she was physically held down in the back of the vehicle,” said Mr Wood.

“On arrival there the male she describes as being the most violent demanded sex again. She was restrained by the other males whilst this man raped her again.’’ Mr Wood said the semi-naked and injured woman managed to escape from the vehicle during a lull in the attack and managed to flag down a passing motorist.

The next day detectives found the Toyota parked outside a hostel on Idle Road where Kora was living with his family.

During a series of police interviews he admitted driving his cousins round in the vehicle because they were “bored”.

He said on one occasion they had picked up a girl, but he had let her out of the car after they had been fighting in the back.

Kora said the others had chastised him for letting her go because she was “nice, beautiful and they could have done stupid things with her”.

Kora claimed he had just gone along to help the others who had threatened to tell his wife if he did not drive them.

He denied having sex with any of the women, but admitted had become sexually aroused by watching what his cousins were doing.

The trial continues.
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/local/localbrad/3629854.Prostitutes_tell_of_gang_rapes/

Taliban slays women for “prostitution”

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Viewer discretion is advised.

http://womenagainstshariah.blogspot.com/2008/08/taliban-slays-women-for-prostitution.html

Pa. town sued after rejecting pole-dancing studio

It’s not Porn, but the idiots who run this town think it is….

PITTSBURGH – A suburban Pittsburgh woman has sued a town that refused to allow her to open a pole-dancing studio on the grounds it was a sexually oriented business.

A federal lawsuit filed Thursday in Pittsburgh by the American Civil Liberties Union claims Adams Township officials violated Stephanie Babines’ right to free expression by denying her an occupancy permit.

Babines, a computer analyst from Cranberry Township, alleges “the small-town municipal officials do not approve of the type of dance she teaches. They believe it is ‘provocative,’ full of sexual ‘innuendo,’ and too dangerous for their township.”

Babines claims her studio does not fit the definitions of adult business in the township’s zoning code and wants a judge to rule that barring a dance studio that doesn’t involve nudity violates the First Amendment.

“My classes are a specially designed exercise for women that allows them to have fun, feel confident about their bodies and express their sexuality,” she said in a statement. “This is not a strip joint or gentleman’s club.”

Although Babines’ classes include pole-dancing, power lap dance, strip tease and “SeXXXercise,” they are all taught and done fully clothed, the lawsuit states. Men can’t take the classes, and no spectators are allowed.

The occupancy permit was denied because “we recently received information that would classify your business as an ‘adult business’ because of the content of your advertising and information” on Babines’ Web site, township code enforcement officer Gary Peaco wrote to Babines in March.

At an appeal hearing in May, Peaco testified he didn’t need to interview Babines because her Web site’s “pink-and-black color scheme … and the high-heeled shoe in her logo” indicated to him she planned to run a sexually oriented business, the lawsuit states.

The hearing included testimony from Babines’ students, including “a self-described Christian grandmother,” all of whom said the routines were not sexually explicit, the lawsuit states.

Babines operates a dance and fitness program called “Oh My You’re Gorgeous,” and teaches pole-dancing in a Cranberry Township studio and at homes. She wanted to expand her business and leased a former children’s clothing store in nearby Adams Township, about 25 miles north of Pittsburgh.

She said she spent about $10,000 installing flooring, mirrors, poles, dressing rooms, additional walls and other amenities. She wishes to use the space to teach dance and fitness classes and hold bachelorette parties where she would teach pole dancing, as well as sell “non-sexually explicit merchandise such as poles, high-heeled shoes, feather boas and T-shirts.”

Peaco said he couldn’t comment on pending litigation. Township solicitor Charles Flach did not return a call seeking comment Thursday afternoon.

http://www.pornnewz.com/2008/08/pa-town-sued-after-rejecting-pole-dancing-studio/

Cambodia: Sex workers, 100% condom use and human rights


Juliana Rincón Parra
From: Global Voices Online

Cambodian sex workers have taken to the internet to make their plight and fight for human rights better known. In Cambodia, a 100% condom use law which states that sexual exchanges with clients have to take place with condoms on sounds like a good idea, but it has been turned against those it is supposed to protect, by being used as a means to imprison sex workers, using the fact that they carry condoms with them as evidence for them doing sex work.

Sex workers arrested are sent to “rehabilitation” centers that are basically prisons, where women are held in communal cells with no bathrooms or running water, hardly receive food or water, some are beaten and raped, and are denied Anti-retroviral drug treatment for HIV positive women.

The Asia Pacific Network of Sex Workers has a series of studies of the perceived results and effects of the 100% Condom Use Program according to sex workers in different countries, such as Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar. You can also see the video the have uploaded on their Blip.tv channel Sex Workers Present, where a comprehensive video with explanations of the implications of the 100% condom use program, interviews with women who have been arrested or sent to “rehabilitation” facilities where no type of education or training is received, and how these programs that connect condom use exclusively with sex workers are not going to be able to impact HIV and STI propagation among the rest of the population. The Asia pacific Network of Sex Workers recently won the 2008 international Award for Action on HIV/AIDS and Human Rights at the International AIDS conference in Mexico City the first week of August. The organization was founded in 1994 and has been working with sex workers on health and human rights along with other organizations and groups such as Empower Thailand, Sweetly Japan, Pink Triangle Malaysia, the Scarlet Alliance Australia and Sonagachi.

http://ki-media.blogspot.com/2008/08/caught-between-tiger-and-crocodile.html

UK: Stigmatisation of prostitutes

From
August 29, 2008
A precedent for singling out one identifiable group has already been set

 

 

 

Sir, Carol Sarler says in her article (“Paedophiles may be mad or bad”, Aug 21) that it would create a precedent to single out one identifiable group and exclude it from the principles of law that apply to all others. I beg to differ. There is a precedent.

 

There has been one group that has been differently treated under the law since the 19th century, that of the women labelled “common prostitute”. This label has been applied to women and girls by their being cautioned twice by a police officer for soliciting. Happily, this has stopped for children since the late 1990s. They are now seen to be the victims that they have always been, ie, abused children. But for women with the label in place, they can be brought before any court, described as a “common prostitute” and are guilty before trial. It is a lifetime label and has employment implications.

 

Why should men who have abused children, who are without choice, be championed? Women prostitutes, on the contrary, deal with adult men who have choice. So why should women be labelled in this way as they have been for 200 years?

 

The social reformer Josephine Butler campaigned to remove this stigmatising label from prostituting women until her death, as do we still at the Josephine Butler Society.

 

Valerie Gore
Chairman, Josephine Butler Society
Canterbury

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article4628076.ece

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.