Simon Cowell caught up in ‘X Factor’ prostitute scandal

Sept. 1, 2010, 8:08 PM EST

WENN

Music mogul Simon Cowell has refused to kick an escort off his hit British talent show “The X Factor,” insisting, “We haven’t banned prostitutes.”

Chloe Mafia, 20, has made it past the first stage of the competition, despite tabloid reports suggesting the wannabe pop star had been working as a $240-an-hour prostitute.

And Cowell is adamant the single mom will not be axed because of her controversial activities.

Also: ‘American Idol’ reject sues for $100 million

He tells The Sun newspaper, “We can’t just take people off the show because they might do something that upsets some people. If a person applies to be on ‘The X Factor’ it’s obvious to me that they want to do something better with their life.”

Cowell, who quit as a judge on “American Idol” in May, is currently in talks to bring his “X Factor” show to the U.S.

See original at MSN

Advertisements

Sex workers: the biggest losers at the World Cup (SA)

Written by Doreen Gaura
Thursday, 02 September 2010

While many are still coming down from the excitement of the World Cup, Zodwa Sangweni* is one South African who was disappointed by how the much-hyped event turned out. A sex worker in Johannesburg, Sangweni said despite predictions that sex business would be booming, the World Cup season was actually a bust.

“We didn’t work well, there was no money,” she said. “Maybe for those who work in hotels but for us on the streets, we didn’t get any business.”

Ahead of the global sporting spectacle – which has a reputation for off-the-pitch debauchery – many were speculating that the real winners of the event would be sex workers. An influx of as many as 40,000 sex workers was anticipated, mostly from Zimbabwe, but also from as far away as Russia. Continue reading